Monday 20 February 2017

Kerala Kitchen

Now, I've been craving Indian food since I got to Ireland. I mean, sure, we've made stuff at home...but nothing has really stood out—even in Dublin.

Enter Kerala Kitchen, an Indian restaurant that started small and finally has a permanent location on the quaint Upper Baggot Street, in Dublin 4.

We weren't expecting anything more than 'above average', as we've heard some good things from reviews on the web. I've grown up with Indian food, so I figured I've had it as good as I can get it. We were surely surprised!

I never really mentioned it, but Tammy and I were going out for dinner because today marks six months since we tied the knot! We had Indian food on our wedding day, so I figured it was only fitting that we have Indian food today as well.

When we arrived, we were greeted pretty warmly. They were very friendly, and even the Manager came out to say hello! Arun, the Manager, gave us recommendations and got to know us. The dining area is upstairs and on the smaller side. This means it's a bit more intimate, but has a wonderful feel in the atmosphere. He said at Kerala Kitchen, they pride themselves on the quality of their food above all else.

Alright—onto the food!

Lamb Seekh Kebabs, Dal Curry, Chattinad Curry, Onion Bhaji, and Pulao Rice
@ Kerala Kitchen, 5 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin 4
Photo: Brewji

Tammy and I went all out: we got two starters and two mains, with two sides.


Poppadoms with 3 Dips
@ Kerala Kitchen, 5 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin 4
Photo: Brewji

Before we get to our Starters: the staff realized I was Brewji, and they gave me some complimentary dips to go along with the poppadoms (which are generally complimentary). There were three dips. One tasted like a mango chutney, one tasted like a yogurt-based dip, and one was perhaps a tamarind chutney. I generally love my poppadoms without too much dip, but I couldn't get enough of the mango one.

Our Starters: Lamb Seekh Kebabs + Onion Bhaji x2

Onion Bhaji + Dip
@Kerala Kitchen, 5 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin 4
Photo: Brewji

We started with the Onion Bhaji, because the last time we ordered Indian food we had Onion Bhaji and we liked them. However, these were so much better! The Onions were perfectly fried, the right amount of chana flour holding it together, and the onions had that perfect crunch without being overbearing in flavour. The filling made it addicting to the point where I couldn't put it down. It was served with what seemed to be a mint-infused raita. I'm not sure if that's what it was, but it was delicious. I'm normally not a person who gets into the dips or sauces, but I was loading my Bhaji with the stuff. For under €4, you really can't go wrong with this one.

Tammy: 9.5 / 10
Me: 9.5 / 10


Lamb Seekh Kebabs
@ Kerala Kitchen, 5 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin 4
Photo: Brewji

Moving on, we dove into the Lamb Seekh Kebabs. I remember the first bite, so tender, juicy, and perfectly seasoned with just the right amount of spice, retaining the juicy flavours of the lamb. Each and every bite was succulent. These kebabs were served with a similar dip to the Bhaji, although perhaps there was a bit of spice in this one? Or maybe it was just the taste of the kebabs. Either way, I was loading this dip onto my food as well! Serious mission accomplished...as I said I'm normally not a dip guy but I couldn't resist. The best Lamb Seekh Kebabs I've ever eaten.

Tammy: 10 / 10
Me: 10 / 10



Our Mains: Chettinad Chicken Curry + Dal Curry

Chettinad Chicken Curry
@Kerala Kitchen, 5 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin 4
Photo: Brewji

Onto our mains: we chose one chicken dish and one vegetarian. We decided to go with the Chettinad Chicken Curry because the description sounded lovely, and the picture in their online menu looked pretty irresistible (I'm pretty sure my snapshot is pretty good too, eh?). Let me tell you—it tastes way better than it looks. While I ended up sweating bullets due to the heat, I enjoyed this dish thoroughly. It has the most pronounced flavour of anything we ate tonight. This, for me, was the hands down star of the show. I was emotionally engaged with my meal at the point of tasting this dish. 

Tammy: 10 / 10
Me: 10 / 10 * I think it's safe to say I'm in love with this dish. My wife doesn't mind.


Dal Curry
@Kerala Kitchen, 5 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin 4
Photo: Brewji

We ordered the Dal Curry because we didn't want to get too stuffed by having a lamb curry alongside a chicken curry. Plus, if there's ever a day where Tammy and I are both exhausted and we want a quick, easy and nutritious takeaway meal, we might have one. This Dal Curry has four different types of lentils in it, and according to their menu doesn't contain dairy or gluten! This means bonus points for us. We were finding flavours that we didn't even know existed in this Dal Curry.

When I was little, my mom told me that when she was growing up, Dal Curry (or as she called it, Daar Saag) was a type of food that was eaten by people who didn't have a lot of money. This was because it had two main components: Lentils and a type of cream/milk base. This was something they could cook and the entire village could feel satiated. Well, mom, this is still a staple (except now it's luxurious, too!).

Tammy: 9.5 / 10
Me: 9.5 / 10



Our Sides: Pulao Rice, one for each of us

Pulao Rice
@Kerala Kitchen, 5 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin 4
Photo: Brewji

The Pulao Rice is a seasoned basmati rice, topped with a few fried onions. It's slightly more aromatic and flavourful than plain basmati rice, and only costs an extra 50 cents.


Bonus: 
At one point while I was eating, the waiter stopped by and I asked for a napkin. I was sweating profusely and I didn't want to appear offensive to the other guests. He apologized for the spice level of the dish (it wasn't even their fault!), but I said no worries, as I usually sweat a lot when eating spicy food. He said okay, handed me a napkin, and I hoped I hadn't offended anyone.


Keralan Coconut Chicken Curry
@Kerala Kitchen, 5 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin 4
Photo: Brewji

Moments later, Arun came around with a complimentary half-portion of the Keralan Coconut Chicken Curry! He said it's similar to the Chettinad, but a little more mild and creamy. I felt bad, as I didn't mean for my sweat to say that anything was wrong. In fact, the Chettinad was my most favourite dish! 

However, this was on another level of its own. It reminded me of the best butter chicken I've ever eaten, but made with coconut cream instead of dairy cream. That, and there was a unique blend of spices that just made it distinct in its own way. It's a beautiful dish that shouldn't be overlooked at all. It's a popular one for a reason!

Tammy: 10 / 10
Me: 10 / 10


Chicken Tikka Masala
@Kerala Kitchen, 5 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin 4
Photo: Brewji

Earlier when Arun introduced himself in the evening, he'd learned that Tammy's usual go-to Indian dish is Tikka Masala. So, for Tammy, he also brought a half-portion sample of their Chicken Tikka Masala! It's safe to say we'll be returning customers for sure. I love being a blogger!

Tammy does usually go for the Chicken Tikka Masala. I can't blame her, it's a solid dish that's usually always a safe bet. But when we got some at the table, and Arun said they make a "mean Tikka Masala", I couldn't resist digging in myself. I don't know what it is, maybe the freshness of the ingredients? It felt like we could taste the quality difference between this Tikka Masala versus any we've tried before. This was just a notch higher on the quality scale. I could tell Tammy loved it because by this point she was speechless, and at a state of making quiet noises in awe of the food she'd just had.

Tammy: 9.5 / 10
Me: 9.5 / 10


Chai
@Kerala Kitchen, 5 Upper Baggot Street, Dublin 4
Photo: Brewji

When we decided we were throwing in the towel because we couldn't manage another bite, the waiter happily agreed to pack up our food so we could take the leftovers home. But when he came to pick up the food, he brought over some masala Chai. I don't remember what it was called on the menu, but that's what I've known it as all my life. This was nostalgia in a cup, and it really hit home for me. I felt the tears welling up in my eyes at how happy and emotional I felt. Feels weird to say this, but I felt things I hadn't felt in 20 years. It was like parts of my childhood were fresh memories in my mind.

Tammy had never smelled or tasted a tea quite like this. I mean sure, it wasn't dairy-free by any means, but it was so delicious! She didn't care, she downed the whole cup. It was the best masala Chai I've had since I was a child. Just as warm, soothing, and hug-in-a-cup as I remember.

Tammy: 10 / 10
Me: 10 / 10


Okay, I have to make sure I get this across to you guys. I was NOT paid to write this. I'm telling you, this is just the best food I've eaten. This is the best Indian food, the best food from the continent of Asia that I've ever tasted, the best meal I've ever paid for—ever.



Kerala Kitchen: Beautiful, Delicious + Made with Love.
Food: 10
Service: 10
Value($): 10
Would we return? OH GOD YES

No comments:

Post a Comment