Friday 4 January 2013

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout!

Now, the holiday season has just wrapped up, but I need to get this out. I don't care if you're still in the mood for winter beers, if you're still on vacation or you just love dark chocolate! I recently went to the liquor store and found a bottle of the Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout (10% ABV) for under four bucks!

I didn't expect much of this stout, I'll admit. The price didn't really intrigue me, and I'd never really heard of a stout over 8.5% that actually had any taste left in it that didn't make me want to vomit everywhere. Well, this is one of those "exception" brews. 

Do you like dark chocolate? I'm not talking 70% dark chocolate, I'm talking at least 85%, maybe even 90%+ dark chocolate. If you do, just smell this brew. You'll smell dark death and dark chocolate. This is the sign that you should dip your lips in for a sip.

As pictured, the bottle looks harmless, and the beer pours dark like a normal stout, with a little bit of tan-coloured head. Beware, brew-lovers, this stout packs a hit.

The instant flavours, which remain through to the after taste, are strong stout mixed with 90% dark chocolate. There's nothing much else to it, simple and to the point. For the class of beer it's in, where there is almost no competition that will come close, this beer ranks among the finest.

Foods? Pair this brew with strong-tasting vanilla desserts. If you have a cheesecake, ice cream, or something sweet that will counter-balance the taste of this brew, go right ahead and enjoy it! I'd recommend this taste with or without dessert. It's a good choice all on its own.

What other chocolate stout out there ranks with dark chocolate as the main flavour, and has a well-respected balance of super dark chocolate with flavours encapsulating a delicious stout? None, so far as I've seen.

This beer is one you'll want to sip until it's over, and then tell your friends about. It's the "Hey guys, I just tried this 10% stout beer and it was great!" beer that you'll love to brag to your buds about. Even if you're not in a winter mood, it's worth it to bust a bottle of this stuff open and share it with whomever you wish.

The Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout gets a commendable, honourable 8.5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment