Saturday 8 December 2012

Winnie the Pooh would like this Brooh.


Since I was very impressed by the Valley Trail Chestnut Ale from Whistler Brewing Co., I decided to try another one of their brews. As I've said before, I'm not much of a lager person, particularly North American lagers. However, the Rickards Oakhouse helped to change my mind on that (along with the High Country Kolsch from Mt. Begbie), and thus I have begun my venture for more lagers that are enjoyable.

I ended up deciding on the Whistler Brewing Co. Bear Paw Honey Lager (alc. 5%). I found a six-pack of it at the BC Liquor Store for only $10.99!

When I poured the beer into the glass, the head was about half an inch, and dissipated right away. There was no way to time it. The smell was a split between sweetness and a hoppy smell. Not a good hoppy smell though, so already off to a mediocre start.

I took a sip and realized there is way more than just a hint of honey in this lager, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There is a strong honey presence, but a lack of carbonation. It felt like drinking a cold, half-flat lager with honey squeezed into it. If you think about it, that doesn't sound too bad now does it?

As you can see in the picture, it pours a delicious-looking coppery colour, and the bottle + the brew both blend in well with the background (this was an unfortunate coincidence). So it smells, tastes, and looks like honey...which means if Winnie the Pooh was stressed out from exams, this would take off the edge for sure!

It's a sipping beer, so hopefully you don't decide to buy it for a drinking game just because of the price.

Nonetheless, it isn't anything really special. It's your average honey lager with a bit more honey and a bit less carbonation. 

If you enjoy less carbonation, and like a sipping beer with a bit of sweetness to it, then this is the beer for you. However, this doesn't match my palate, and it just feels like someone over-did the honey taste to a generic honey lager and bottled it with a cool name.

I wouldn't refuse this beer at a bar, but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

The Whistler Brewing Co. Bear Paw Honey Lager gets a bitter-sweet 7.0 / 10


No comments:

Post a Comment