Tuesday 18 December 2012

G.I. Island Lager (Cobblestone Lager)

Have you ever been tricked into trying a beer, then realize that you really wish you didn't try it? Well, that's kind of how I felt after receiving the Cobblestone Lager from the Old Spaghetti Factory. I figured I've tried almost every beer available in sit-down lower mainland restaurants, so I figured the house beer might be a little different. Well, I was wrong. It was the Granville Island "Island Lager" (Alc. 5.0%).

I don't mean to rag on the G.I. brewery, but they really have the generic lager, when it comes to North-American lagers.  A good mid-range lager would be the High Country Kolsch from Mt. Begbie, but this falls short of that by a lot and produces a very average, drinkable, chuggable taste.

It smells like a Molson Canadian / generic value-brand lager, and tastes like one too -- aside from the fact that this beer leaves no disgusting after-taste in your mouth. It does to a degree, but it's much more pleasant than a value-brand econo-lager.

As pictured, you can't tell whether I poured the G.I. Island Lager, a Molson, or if I urinated in the glass.

Do I even need to describe what a Molson Canadian tastes like? It's not great. You taste grain and grassy malts. If you don't mind the taste, slam six of these bad-ass waters and get drunk!

The plus to this Molson Canadian-like beer is that you can slam multiples because the after-taste isn't so disgusting.

The Granville Island "Island Lager" gets an average, drinkable-but-why-did-I-pay-for-this 5.5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment