Sunday 13 November 2016

Orchard Thieves Cider (Brewji Ireland!)

Since landing in Ireland, I've had many new challenges and opportunities as I begin to adjust to the lifestyle here. There will be posts about everything from groceries to Gluten-Free and dairy-free products, to cider and drinks and coffee.

I've yet to obtain a laptop adapter (should arrive in the mail in a few days!) so I'm writing this on my Nexus 5 smartphone.

That said, today I've gone for a new cider that was recommended to me by a former coworker at Clio, when she visited Vancouver from their Dublin office. I picked up a 660mL bottle of Orchard Thieves Cider (ABV 4.5%) while grocery shopping at Tesco! (Yes, you can buy liquor at grocery stores here.) Oh, and on the plus side it's gluten free, as it should be.

Anyway, let's get to the review!

Orchard Thieves Cider @Brewji Ireland HQ
Donacarney, Co. Meath
Photo: Brewji


The Orchard Thieves pours a clear golden colour, with an initial amount of golden-white head that fizzles away very quickly.

On sniff, I get semi-sweet and tart apple. Essentially, it smells like a proper, crisp and dry cider.


Orchard Thieves Cider @ Brewji Ireland
Donacarney, Co. Meath
Photo: Brewji

Taste is sweet, but not overly sweet in an artificial sense. It doesn't feel like one of the many BC “dry and crisp” craft ciders which were neither very dry nor very crisp.

However, as Tammy pointed out to me: If you let this cider warm up a bit, the taste disappears and you're left with remnants of a warm apple juice-like beverage.

If you're new to ciders, this might be a gateway. It's light-bodied and mellow at 4.5% ABV.

I'm not sure if this is available in BC, but I've sent a WhatsApp message to my crew and recommended it in case they see it. If you do spot this at the BCL or private liquor stores, pick one up!

The Orchard Thieves Cider gets a refreshing-and-harmless 7.0 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment