Friday 18 November 2016

Esquires Coffee in Drogheda

Well well, Tammy and I have our boots settled in (actually, I've yet to get myself a pair of boots of any sort), and we've started trekking through the nearest town of Drogheda. Situated on either side of the River Boyne, it's the nearest place where we can hit up a Penney's, Tesco, a chip shop, and grab a fancy coffee all at the same time.

After an unfortunate encounter at the bank trying to set up an account (because the guy working there was a moron), I spotted one of the employees looking stressed and drinking out of an Esquires cup. This made me want to pop into the cafe when we walked past it. Initially, we tried their Americano last week and it was incredible.

This time, we met up with one of Tammy's friends and we each had a large ("Grande") Caffe Mocha made with coconut milk, and a slice of -- get this -- Toblerone Almond Cake. How awesome does that sound? Best of all, it was gluten-free. The cake was definitely not dairy-free, which meant bloating was destined for us. However, it was a treat and a special occasion which meant we were willing to put up with a little pain in exchange for deliciousness.


Caffe Mocha with Coconut Milk @ Esquires Coffee
13 West St., Drogheda, Co. Louth, Ireland
Photo: Brewji

Let's start with the Caffe Mocha. First, it was honestly the biggest cup of coffee I've ever been served in a cafe. I'd say it was probably a 20oz mug, a proper pint. The frothy foam lead into a beautiful warm, sweet caffeinated home of coconut milk and oh-so-glorious chocolate.

It was served at a perfectly drinkable temperature, and was not overly-sweet or bitter. I'd give this a perfect ten, reminiscing about the mocha I had at the East Cafe back in Vancouver. The main difference was that in Esquires there's no extra charge for non-dairy milk, and the size of the coffee was twice as big while the price is comparable.


Toblerone Almond Cake (Gluten-Free) @ Esquires Coffee
13 West St., Drogheda, Co. Louth, Ireland
Photo: Brewji

Now, the gluten-free cake...Toblerone Almond Cake. I don't think I've ever imagined something like this being created. I'm almost at a loss for words. Layered like a deep dish pizza, the bottom is a crumb-like crust. The middle of the cake is layered like a lasagna, with crust in between sheets of a chocolate-y, nutty paste. Finally, the cake is topped off with what seems like melted Toblerone chocolate and crushed almonds. It's mouth-watering and absolutely delicious. If they ever have it again, I'm probably getting another slice for myself (it was worth the pain!).

Tammy and I both enjoyed ourselves here, and the quality of the products and service solidifies that we'll be back. It's our new favourite coffee shop, because Insomnia messed up our drinks twice and we've only been there twice. That, and we can't quite visit East Cafe back in Vancouver anymore.

I give Esquires Coffee a gluten-free-with-coconut-milk-in-heaven 9.5 / 10
Tammy gives Esquires Coffee a solid 9.0 / 10

1 comment: