Tuesday 26 January 2016

Gingerhead Gingerbread Stout by Central City

Well, I've officially broken in the new year with a new beer! I know, I've been hesitant to get back on the brew-wagon since that epic New Year's Eve.

Either way, Tammy and I picked up the Gingerhead Gingerbread Stout (ABV 6.0%) by Central City Brewing. It's classified as an Irish Dry Stout, but we'll see what my Irish girl and I think of this. Most beers I've had from Central City have been pretty spot-on, if not spectacular. I've mentioned before that I used to frequent their brew pub in Surrey when I was an SFU student. However, their food has become more "high-class" and their prices have reflected that (as of my last few visits...their nachos used to be killer!).


Gingerhead Gingerbread Stout by Central City Brewing
@Brewji HQ
Photo: Brewji, Totally Tammy



The stout poured well, albeit with little to no head. I know I don't have the "proper glassware", but I was still expecting some. It appeared to have more carbonation than most other stouts.

It smelled mildly sweet, with barely a hint of toffee and/or caramel. However, this was just after being taken out of the fridge. As a rookie mistake, I forgot to let it sit for a few minutes to warm up and let the flavours come out.


Gingerhead Gingerbread Stout by Central City Brewing
@Brewji HQ
Photo: Brewji, Totally Tammy

After 10-15 minutes of letting it warm up, I could really taste a hint of gingerbread cookies! The first sip was robust yet sweet, with notes of oatmeal, ginger, and cocoa (or chocolate). This is seriously a hit! If they released this in six-pack bottles, we'd probably pick up a few for friends and family when they visit.

All that being said -- if you're not a stout person, give this a go. It's smooth, tasty, and definitely puts a winter-y twist on an Irish Dry Stout without losing its merit. If you don't like gingerbread cookies or stout, then chances are you should be looking at some of my other posts.


Tammy gives the Gingerhead Gingerbread Stout a forget-the-cookie-gimme-a-beer 8.5 / 10
I give the Gingerhead Gingerbread Stout a no-wonder-Ron-got-Hermoine 9.0 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment