Friday 24 July 2015

Main Street Brewing - Checkpoint Charlie

I've been on the search for my "Beer of Summer 2015" for awhile now, and I think I've finally nailed it down to a few. This summer is all about taking it easy, chilling on a patio, and not letting the stress of the world get to you.

I finally landed myself and Tammy at Main Street Brewing's tap room, at 261 E 7th Ave (near Main St. and Broadway) in Vancouver, B.C.

Reading up on the board, I saw Checkpoint Charlie Berliner Weisse (3.0% ABV; 10 IBU). Main Street making a Berliner Weisse? Sign me up!

Now, this isn't my first Berliner Weisse on this blog. I initially received and reviewed the Granville Island Brewing Pucker Meister Berliner Weisse (see it at http://brewji.blogspot.com/2013/09/gib-pucker-meister-berliner-weisse.html).

Back to this one; I initially had to get a taster, you know, just to prove that it's worth drinking. Nobody likes wasted beer. After that, well, I got a pint. And then another, and another (you get where this is going).

Checkpoint Charlie Berliner Weisse + Raspberry Syrup
@ Main Street Brewing Tap Room, Vancouver BC
Photo: Brewji


On first sniff, you get a light and crisp, floral lemon with some zest. It's very faint, and doesn't have too much of a scent.

On first sip, you get the same as the nose, but a bit of earth from the Aramis hops, and some lime on the tail end.

What's better? The lovely lady behind the counter offered me some raspberry syrup to go into the brew. I was a little put off at first...seeing as I'd never done this before. Guess what? It unlocked flavour elements I didn't know the brew had! It didn't taste like a cooler, but not like a Fruli either. It was distinctly sweeter, yet maintained a true drinkable quality in terms of still being a beer.

After one sip, it was clear to me. Checkpoint Charlie is it. This is my summer beer! In fact, at my next opportunity, I travelled an hour each way just to get my 1.9L growler filled up with the stuff and bring it home to surprise Tammy.

Overall, this is a brew you can sip slowly, a brew you can chug (if you really wanted to, but I wouldn't), or a beer you can fill in a growler and drink while you play video games at home. This is versatile, and absolutely delicious.

I give the Checkpoint Charlie a Berliner-Weisse-my-glass-empty? 9.5 / 10
Tammy gives the Checkpoint Charlie a 9.0 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment