Sunday 3 May 2015

Central City's Detective Saison

It's the start of May, and the middle of Spring! If you're enjoying the sunshine, why not grab a Saison that's brewed locally, by a former Brewery-of-the-Year?

That's right, I got a bottle of Central City Brewing's Detective Saison (6.0% ABV). There originally was a controversy with the label, as the artwork was deemed unoriginal. Central City thought they had received an honest piece of artwork, but it turns out it was an actual comic book character. They then promptly changed the label to something original. If you really want to read more into it, you can Google it. I'm here for the beer.

Seeing as I'm not the biggest fan of wheat ales, I wasn't expecting a whole lot, although I have been surprised by a few breweries like Brasserie Dupont, Driftwood, and Phillips. Central City is also big on the list, as I used to go to school right upstairs from there!

Onwards!

Central City Brewing "Detective Saison"
Photo: Brewji

The brew pours a pale golden colour, with a moderate amount of head. This already looks like something I'd want in a pitcher on a hot sunny day with my buddies (then again, it is a beer).

On first sniff, I get a wheat-grass and yeast-y overtone. Hidden beneath that, I get hints of citrus, like a lemon zest. I also get a bit of cracked pepper crackers (you know those triscuit-like things?). It's pretty interesting for a Saison.

On first taste, you get the typical wheat-like taste from a wheat ale, a bit of yeast, but definitely the pepper and lemon zest. The pepper becomes more apparent, and the lemon sits as a bit of a touch on the palate.

In a nutshell, this is a Saison with layers. It's a complex flavour for a simplistic brew, but it's done well in the way where it isn't offensive to the taste buds. I don't have to work to decipher the flavours; they're just present and flow together.

I'd still take a pitcher of this on a patio with my buds -- no doubt. This might not quite be my sunny day beer of the year, but it's definitely worth a go.

I give the Central City Brewing Detective Saison a fresh-start-to-the-Saison 8.0 / 10
Tammy gives the Central City Brewing Detective Saison a 7.0 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment