Monday 20 May 2013

Laid Back Lager? More like Low Budget Lager.

So Danny and I went to the Hop and Vine about a month ago, just before the Canucks golfing season began. We decided to watch the game, and grab a pitcher of what was on special. I thought, "Hey, Big Surf is a B.C. brewery, we should be good." We ordered a pitcher of the Big Surf Beer Co.'s Laid Back Lager (5% ABV).

The beer came in a bright yellow, almost a neon too-many-vitamins-in-my-urine yellow. There was some head that didn't stick around too long, and it smelled like a stale Molson Canadian. Danny and I just looked at each other, and we figured "Well, it's a lager, it should go down without much of a fight."

My first sip into this beer, and wow. Laid Back Lager should be changed to Cat Pee. The taste of this beer reminds me of the smell of cat pee, mixed with the smell of Molson 67. I'm sorry, Big Surf, but there is no way in hell I'm going to order anything from you guys without a taste test first.

Big Surf Beer Co. Laid Back Lager @ Hop and Vine, Burnaby B.C.


Maybe it was old, near the end of the keg. Maybe it was a bad batch, maybe. There are a lot of possibilities, but the one I'm sticking with is that this beer is just plain garbage.

If you're looking for a North American-style lager that actually has some merit and would knock this one out of the park (faster than San Jose knocked the Canucks out of the first round), then try the Mt. Begbie "High Country Kolsch" -- it's a far superior beer.

The picture above might look okay, but I'd say look elsewhere, pretend you never drank this one, and move on.

The Big Surf Laid Back Lager gets a disappointing "who-mixed-my-Molson-with-cat-pee" 1.5 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment