Saturday 9 July 2022

Happy Days Pale Ale - Rascals Brewing Company

Hey hey hey! How's everybody been? It's been a few trips around the Sun, hasn't it?

Now, I'm not writing this review for the viewership (because let's be honest, I don't know if I'll ever get back to my peak in 2014) but rather for shits 'n' giggles. In terms of my interactions with the Irish healthcare system, it is leagues ahead of Canada's - especially when it comes to IBD. Enough said.

I'm well into my 30s now, and permanently residing in a small-ass seaside town outside of Drogheda with my wife and baby -- things have changeddddd.

Anyway, I thought I'd dip into the stockpile of craft beer I've had
stored up over the past few months (I've received loads as gifts - thank you to all of you!). This one's from a Dublin-based brewery called "Rascals Brewing Company". It's called Happy Days (4.1% ABV), and it's advertised as a "Juicy, Session Pale Ale".

Happy Days Pale Ale by Rascals Brewing Company
Photo: Brewji

On first pour, it's got this beautiful golden-yellow straw colour to it. It had about a half-inch of head which dissipated almost entirely within a few seconds. On sniff, I can pick up a hint of tropical fruit along with some hops, but the hops aren't so apparent on the nose.

Now, for that first sip - my first flashback was the outdoor patio at the Hop and Vine Pub in Burnaby, B.C. I don't know why (maybe because those were happy days too?), because it's definitely not a crisp, ultra-sessionable lager, but it's definitely got a sip of enjoyment to it.

It's not too intense on any part of the spectrum. The fruitiness is well balanced by the strength of the hops without being pulled too far in either direction. The mouthfeel (what a strange word) is in the middle-ground, meaning it's not as thin and easy-going as a typical lager, but also not as bold as some of the hoppier or darker pale ales. It's not off-putting, but it's noticeable. 

That's the thing about this beer, is it's not off-putting by any means, but each element of the brew is noticeable. Maybe it's just because I haven't had any real craft beer tasting in what, SIX YEARS? That's mainly thanks to my involvement with a certain "real ale" organization which were so full of 'beer snobs' it turned me off to craft beer for a couple of years. I'll happily drink a pint of mainstream lager if there's nothing else available (except Molson 67 (does that even exist anymore), just...no.).

The TL;DR Verdict

Before I forget -- this is a pint which I'd be okay with drinking in a pub, although I likely wouldn't go out of my way to order it myself as my first pour. I'd happily take a half-pint but then I'd want to taste one-of-everything (it's just who I am).

That being said, it's got the taste and texture, and it's sessionable enough that I'd give it a did-I-just-post-a-craft-beer-review-in-2022-what-is-happening 7.0 out of 10.

My wife "I like my lagers" Tammy gives it a "3, or no, 4, I give it a 4" out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment