Saturday 3 August 2013

Thirsty Farmer Saison - Granville Island Brewery

Hey all, this is the first time in my life where I've actually had a brewery send me their product for a review! I was so happy when I got this, that I even made a video! But, the video doesn't contain my review, it contains a weird experiment that I had to make an omelette. It didn't go as planned, because someone in the house ate all my ingredients.

Nonetheless, I am here today with the Granville Island Brewery (GIB) Thirsty Farmer Saison (6.2% ABV; 30 IBU). This is a limited edition brew from GIB, and it always in the past has saddened me to learn of a limited edition brew from them, because I've generally wanted their limited editions as regulars (such as the Chocolate Imperial Stout...mmm). Today, I opened my bottle, finally, and ran around the house looking for a bottle opener as I'd lost my regular opener.

Thirsty Farmer Saison by Granville Island Brewery @ Brewji's Home

Thirsty Farmer Saison by Granville Island Brewery @ Brewji's Home


In that time, the beer warmed up (from the fridge) to the recommended 7 to 12 degrees Celsius. I poured it in the glass and got a hazy light to golden yellow with a quarter inch of head. It looked beautiful. It looked quite similar to the Driftwood White Bark, actually, and smelled just like it too. The nose offered me some malt, bitterness, and hints of orange and/or grapefruit peels. Mainly orange peel I guess, since it has no resemblance whatsoever to a west coast IPA.

Then I dove in for my first sip, I got bready Belgian yeast and malt at first, then a hint of the orange peel and a touch of sweetness, and then a dry wheat beer after-taste. It was absolutely, surprisingly, delicious. I rated my previous favourite wheat beer as the White Bark from Driftwood, but this has to edge it out. I'm not quite sure why, but it might have something to do with the 6.2% ABV, or it might just be the flavour combinations put together. Either way, I was never really a fan of wheat beers until the White Bark came along, and never liked many except for that one. But I'm adding a new one to the favourites list today!

The Thirsty Farmer Saison is most definitely a sipper brew. Do not chug this, do not use it in a game of flip cup or kings or whatever the hell goes on in the summer time while I'm at work. This is a precious brew that needs the respect that it offers you as a brew-admirer.

Picture a small, neighbourhood pub with a patio and 3 to 4 good buddies sharing a pitcher of the best hefeweizen you've ever had. Get yourself a safe ride home and make this your beer. Done and done.

Now, before I go, I promised a video. It's not the best, but hey, I get to write about beer and get paid for it. How many people can say that?





Hurry to the liquor store as this is a limited brew!

The Granville Island Brewery Thirsty Farmer Saison gets a surprisingly incredible 9.0 / 10

No comments:

Post a Comment